The Do’s and Dont’s of Home Additions
If your home is too small, chances are you have thought about adding on. Adding an addition to your home is a great way to increase your space as well as increase the value of your home. There are of course some things that you should do and some things that you should not do. We are here to help you through this process to ensure that your home addition is exactly what you want it to be.
The Do’s of Home Addition
There are many things that you must do when it comes to a home addition. These few tips will help to ensure that your home addition goes off without any problems.
- Costs. You will want to make sure that you plan out a cost. Due to the nature of home additions, planning out an exact number may be difficult. Make sure you make a rough estimate of how much you need. Also, you will want to have some wiggle room in your budget for things that may come up during the addition.
- Hiring the right people. You will want to make sure that you hire the right people for your home addition. Plumbers, roofers, electricians, HVAC technicians, painters, and more all need to be licensed professionals. Read local reviews, and make sure that you check on licensing before working on your home addition plans.
- Codes and Zoning Laws. Make sure that you check into all your local and state code and zoning laws. You will want to make sure that everything you do to your home additions is legal. If you do not do things the legal way, your county may make you tear down and rebuild to their rules.
The Don’ts of A Home Addition
When you are making your home addition plans, there are several things that you will not want to do. Not doing these things will help make your home addition go smoothly.
- Stress. While it is hard not to stress during a home addition, try not to. Making sure that you keep the process as stress-free as possible will help you to have a good experience.
- Not following the progress. Make sure that you follow every bit of progress on your home addition, even if you think the contractors will find you annoying. Staying on top of your home additions will help to ensure that everything is done properly and correctly.
- Preparing your home. One of the most forgotten things during a home addition is that the rest of your house will be exposed to the construction. This means you will deal with debris, dust, and more coming into your home. Make sure that you are ready to clean at a moment’s notice.
- Lifestyle changes. During your addition, you will need to be prepared for a lifestyle change. Living in a house while it is being worked on is not easy. So you will need to have patience during this process. If you have children, you will need to be prepared to keep them out of the construction zone.
- Keeping issues at bay. One of the most important things you should do is to minimize issues. If there is a problem, contact your contractor to ensure everything is addressed. If there is an issue with the contractor listening to you, make sure that you go to their superior. You will be living in this home for many years, and you will want to make sure that the addition is done perfectly. Never be afraid to speak out if something is not going your way.
Building an addition on to your home is an exciting time. Following the do’s and don’ts above will help to lower your stress level and have a better time while your home addition is being built. If we can help you with your home addition plans, please give us a call today.